Best cover for Holiday Homes Insurance

People, especially those rich one, often buying a second home or holiday home in Europe or the UK are usually being offered insurance cover by a broker, insurer or their foreign agent or notary. It may well be far too easy to say “yes”, but the policy they offer you may not be suitable for you due to the particular requirements needed for a second home or holiday home.

With the risks of owning a second home abroad or in the UK being that much greater than your main home or residence, there is a real call for a second home insurance policy that is written in easy to understand English, that pays specific attention to the particular requirements for holiday homes, and that also has wide coverage.

Not every property has a swimming pool. Certain features are considered to be of vital importance, and therefore overseas home insurance cover for loss of use, legal liability for domestic staff, public liability and accidental damage to domestic supplies should be included as standard. Your holiday property insurance should also ensure that all local taxes on overseas properties are included within the premium. Buildings and Contents cover should be flexible so that owners do not end up paying for cover that they do not need.

Holiday home owners who own a property overseas and have overseas holiday home insurance should be spared the difficulties of discussing their claim with a foreign agent via a continental telephone call, and should be able to speak directly to experienced English staff that will provide assistance and be fully responsible for liaising with the overseas loss adjusters. The true value of any insurance is however only fully appreciated when a claim is made.

You might think that the best thing to go for is cheap holiday home insurance, but you really need to ask yourself whether you are really that well covered with the cheapest policy? Although low premium rates are often of importance, the overseas house insurance cover should be simple to understand, offer a high level of security and in the event of a claim a satisfactory result.

It is essential that you get the correct property insurance to suit the specialized requirements needed for your holiday home. Using an insurance agent who does not specialize in, or fully understand the requirements of your holiday home or let property, you may find that you do not have adequate cover to fully protect your holiday home. You must get specialist overseas holiday property insurance. And you must get insurance for buildings and contents designed exclusively for properties used as holiday homes or let for holiday use.

As an owner of a holiday home abroad, it is vital that you fully understand the extent and limitations of your insurance policy. Do you have cover for legal liability for domestic employees? What restrictions are in place when letting and un-occupancy etc? And most important of all what do you do in the event of a claim?

If your holiday home insurance policy has been placed through an insurance agent in the following countries: UK, Spain, France, Portugal, Italy, Cyprus Greece, Ireland, Malta, Monaco or Andorra , it is more likely that they have not informed you and that you simply do not know.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *